All photography provided by Christopher L. Johnston & Sharnjeet K. Sandhu
My name is Kernjeet Kaur Sandhu. I was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My parents, Satnam Singh Sandhu and Iqbal Kaur Sandhu, are from the region of Punjab in northern India.
My first trip to India was in 1992 and it was a very influential trip for me. I quickly grew very attached to my extended family in India. I came back to Canada and started to read and write Punjabi so that I could continue communication with my family overseas through letters.
Throughout my travels back home to India, I noticed the need for medical services in rural areas of Punjab and this motivated me to do more and think bigger. I chose the medical profession quickly after my Bachelor's degree so that I could go back to help Punjab. It was a very clear motivation for me right from those early trips to Punjab.
Today, after having obtained my MD and finishing my medical residency from the United States of America, I travel to India once or twice a year to provide health services to rural communities. I have also traveled to Haiti to do similar work and tropical medicine is an area of interest to me.
My focus in recent times has been on the increasing drug use in the Punjab region, primarily heroin, cocaine, and synthetic opiates.
Please browse through my website to view some of the other work that I am doing in my village in Punjab, including recent WiFi connections to my village and neighboring schools and villages.
Contact us to get more information.
What We've Achieved
- MARCH 2016 Khalsa College Youth Forum with the NSS
- MARCH 2015 Leadership Conversations with village youth
- MARCH 2014 Medical Camp Marhana, Punjab, India
- MARCH 2013 Medical Camp Marhana, Punjab India
- APRIL 2016 Punjab Di Dhadkan in Conversation with Gursharan Mann
- APRIL 2016 Launch Television program about health awareness, Toronto, Ontario - Virasaat Television
- June 2016 Manitoba Marathon Representing "Punjabi Doc" in the half marathon
- October 2016 San Jose Rock n Roll Marathon Representing Punjabi Doc in the half marathon run 13.1 miles in support
- April 2017 Amritsar GRR Half Marathon, representing Punjabi Doc